Tuesday, January 24, 2012

What I have learned about Action Research

Whenever I saw the name of the class I am currently taking was called "Action Research" I was pretty nervous. The thought of doing some sort of research project while I teaching and doing all of the other things that my job calls for really started to stress me out. As I began reading Nancy Fichtman Dana's book Leading with Passion and Knowledge: The Principal as Action Researcher, I started to see that action research is not about doing a research project, but trying to make yourself better by taking a hard look at the way you approach things in your professional life. It can really put things in perspective and help administrative personnel keep priorities straight. One recommendation that I really like is to have a set time each week to engage in some type of action research. During this time, you can look at different data that can help guide you to solve whatever problem you may be having in your professional career. I am very relieved that instead of having to do some sort of research project that I might not be interested in, I have the opportunity to better myself and help progress my career by taking an in-depth look at what really matters to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment